While grass may be one of the sturdiest plants there is, not all grass is made the same. Whether you have a family who spends their days playing on the lawn or a shaded garden that doesn’t get as much summer sun as the rest of the street, it doesn’t mean you get can’t the lawn of your dreams. If you have a high foot traffic lawn or a shaded garden, there are grass seeds made just for that!
Ordinary garden turf doesn’t like being grown in the shade and does not appreciate being planted in high-traffic areas, but don’t despair, if your lawn is under trees or in the shade of a building and you need some grass for shady areas, TurfOnline has a solution for you – Shadesman+ Shade Tolerant Turf, our best grass for shaded areas.
Shadesman+ is grown from shade tolerant grass species that naturally grow in lower light conditions and is one of the best grasses for shaded areas or high traffic sections of your lawn. This grass is perfect for shaded areas and can leave even the darkest parts of our garden looking green and luscious. The parent of this grass is known as Poa Supina, this shade-loving grass hails from the alpine mountains of Germany and Austria where it spends some of the year underneath snow. For the rest of the year, it is being trampled on and eaten by cattle.
The variety of Poa Supina we used to grow Shadesman+ turf is called Supranova – it’s been bred to look more like a lawn than a farmer’s field, so no worries there. But, it’s just as hardwearing and shade tolerant as its parents. Not only is this grass great for shaded areas but it’s tough too, meaning your high-traffic areas should not look patchy or dead.
What Are the Features of Shadesman+?
- Shade tolerant and grows in shaded areas
- Hardwearing and great for high-traffic lawns
- Quick recovery from damage
- Dense growth habit
- Frost hardy
- Disease resistant
- Used on sports fields and ideal for high-traffic areas (dogs and sprogs!)
- Happy in sun or shade
- Dislikes really close mowing
Where Can I Buy Shadesman+?
You can buy shade-tolerant turf from TurfOnline’s store and have it delivered to your address.
It is slightly more costly than our ryegrass-based turfs – because it’s relatively new, the seed costs a little more. But, in the long run, it’s more durable and more accepting of shade.
Can I Buy Shade-Tolerant Seed Instead of Turf?
Indeed you can, you’ll find it in the seed section of turfonline.co.uk
How Do I Care For a Shady Lawn?
If your lawn is growing in shady conditions, you can help it to stay in good health by being more relaxed with your mowing regime.
- Raise the mower blades as high as they can go and avoid cutting the grass shorter than about 5cm; 7-8 cm is a better length.
- Always keep your mower blades really sharp. If they’re blunt they’ll tear the grass rather than cut them and that puts a lot of stress on the plants.
- Feed your lawn regularly with the right lawn feed for the time of year.
- Remove fallen leaves at least once a week in the autumn – more often if you can.