A truly colourful blend of wildflower species that will be irresistible to butterflies, bees, moths and hoverflies. Floral Focus is a pollinator paradise and when in full bloom, it is a truly joyous mix of vibrant colours. As an added bonus, most of the plant species are perennial. If they love your garden they’ll repeat the performance year after year after year.
We’ve developed a more advanced growing system for this Meadowmat® variety to allow us to leave all of the grasses out of the seed mix. Our traditional Meadowmat® varieties rely on the roots of grass plants to form the matting system. For Floral Focus we’ve introduced a biodegradable coir backing fabric so that your wildflower area is super easy for us to transport and for you to install. In truth, it was developed for green roofing applications. However, we think you’ll love it as a garden feature too.
- Stunning flower varieties in shades of yellow, white, blue, pink and purple
- Long flowering period to support pollinators from spring through to autumn
- Suppresses annual weed seeds already in your soil and stops weeds from germinating
- Very easy to install and care for. Simply unroll onto prepared soil (or green roof substrate!) and keep well-watered until the roots are established.
- Cut back once a year – no other maintenance required
- 100% Wildflower seed mix*
- Suitable for green roofing AND ground applications
Great for insects and even better for gardeners!
- A vibrant mix of perennial, annual and bi-annual plants for sustainability and lower maintenance
- Depending on soil type and local weather, expect to see flowers between March and September
- Floral Focus is mown before despatch to minimise damage to plants in transit. It will not be in flower when it is delivered
- For summer flowers, install Floral Focus before the end of March so that plants have plenty of time to establish.
- Standard unit size is 1000mm x 1000mm
- Average weight is 25Kg per square metre – this may vary slightly according to moisture levels,
- For roofing applications, install onto AT LEAST 150mm of green roof substrate.
- Your Floral Focus will adapt to the conditions in your garden and to the weather which means it will bring a different display every single year.
- For ground applications we recommend laying onto a 150mm depth of nutrient-poor soil like our Low Fertility Soil
*IMPORTANT TO KNOW
Floral Focus is grown outdoors on a wildlife-friendly plant nursery. We actively encourage birds, insects and other creatures to share the benefits of the plants as they grow. Pesticides and weed killers are not usually used in production.
That means that whilst there is no grass sown in our Floral Focus, from time to time, seeds will be dropped by birds. We weed out any that we see but occasionally one or two will be missed. Floral Focus may not be entirely grass free. The good news is that the growing medium we use makes it very easy to pluck out any unwanted plants that you see.
What’s in Floral Focus?
100% native wildflowers
For more information about each flower, click on the article below
|Autumn Hawkbit||Musk Mallow|
|Birdsfoot Trefoil||Purple Loosestrife|
|Bladder Campion||Ragged Robin|
|Clustered Bellflower||Red Clover|
|Columbine||Sheep’s Bit Scabious|
|Common Daisy||Small Scabious|
|Common Toadflax||Viper’s Bugloss|
|Field Poppy||Wild Basil|
|Fox and Cubs||Wild Carrot|
|Grandmothers Garden||Wild Marjoram|
|Greater Knapweed||Wild Pansy|
How to Install and Care for Floral Focus
When your Floral Focus arrives, it will have at least 90% plant coverage. All you need to do is to lay it on top of prepared soil (or green roof substrate) and water it in. The growing medium needs to be kept damp until plants are fully established.
Floral Focus has a very short shelf life. It MUST be unrolled as soon as your delivery arrives, especially in hot weather.
Annual maintenance couldn’t be easier. Allow the plants to grow, flower and set seed over the Spring and Summer period. Then, when plants look dry, stalky and sad, use a sharp blade to cut them down to about 10cm high. Give the spent vegetation a good shake to let seeds fall back into the sward and then pop it on the compost heap. Your wildflower turf will regenerate through the winter months and start growing again in Spring. Any unwanted plants can be pulled or dug out.
For roof applications only, apply a suitable slow release feed in early spring. The Turfonline team recommends our Sedum Fertiliser. Floral Focus in the garden is very self-sufficient and shouldn’t need feeding at all.
For more detailed information on installing and maintaining Floral Focus please visit the downloads tab or check out some of our blogs in the help centre.