Meadowmat Woodland Shade Seed Mix
Woodland Shade Meadowmat® is a blend of 35 native wildflowers and 3 grasses typically found growing in woodland margins and hedgerows.
Ideal for those tricky spots in the garden where many garden flowers flounder. Please bear in mind though that Woodland Shade cannot tolerate really deep shade. Dappled shade is OK but it definitely won’t thrive where the sun never shines. Woodland Shade will bring a splash of colour and serenity into your life alongside the knowledge that you are providing valuable wildlife habitat.
- All but one of the plant species in Woodland Shade Meadowmat® are perennial. That means that you will be enjoy them every year without replanting or reseeding……provided of course they are enjoying the conditions in your garden!
- Flowering Time: April – October (depending on local weather conditions) with the strongest flush of flowers in late Spring.
- Although any type of Meadowmat® seed can be sown at any time of year, Autumn is a great time of year to sow Woodland Shade seed. That way the plants can root in over winter and be ready to bloom in early spring.
- Be prepared to be amazed! Meadowmat® actually changes appearance every year. Each plant species in the seed-mix responds differently to weather and of course we get different weather every year. You will never be bored!
What is Meadowmat®?
Woodland Shade asks for a largely hands-off and rather eco-friendly style of gardening. So, there’s no need for fertilisers and sprays, these plants are self-sufficient. Leave to grow unchecked between February and August. The biggest burst of the flowers will appear in May followed by smatterings of colour through Summer. At the end of Summer, use a scythe to take off the vegetation – leave just 10 – 15 cm to re-grow and take away all of the trimmings. Then, mow once or twice in Autumn to remove excess growth and let it overwinter. If you are growing Woodland Shade under trees, please remove fallen leaves in Autumn.
Finding the right place to grow Meadowmat Woodland Shade
Woodland Shade prefers to grow in partial shade and moist, but well drained low fertility soil. Please avoid deep shade – the plants do need some daylight in order to thrive. Happiest in a fairly neutral pH but will tolerate all but the most acidic or alkaline soils.
To get the best from your Meadowmat®, install onto our Low Fertility Soil. This helps to regulate the growth of the grasses so that the flowering plants can thrive.
- Dig over the area and thoroughly rake to remove any debris and create a fine tilth. If your garden soil is rich in nutrients, remove as much of it as you can and replace it with low nutrient topsoil.
- Sow the seeds where you want them to grow. The recommended rate for Meadowmat wildflower seed is 30g/m². Sprinkle the seed as evenly as possible being careful not to sow seeds too thickly – the plants will need plenty of room to grow.
- Newly sown wildflower seed needs light and water to germinate. Do not cover the seed. Water lightly – be careful not to wash them away! Protect from birds. For best results, keep the soil and seeds moist until the plants have germinated and are well established.
- Contains Rehofix bulking granules to ensure even sowing.
- Shake well before use
Don’t have time to wait for it to grow?
The mix of wildflowers which feature in this seed mix are also available as an “instant” wildflower turf which can bring you all the colour of wildflowers without the wait!
What’s In Meadowmat Woodland Shade?
Please note, percentages refer to the weight of the seed in the growing mix and do not necessarily reflect the proportions of mature plants.
30% native grasses
Pretty grasses to help retain soil moisture and create wildlife habitat.
For more information about each grass, click on the article below
|Crested Dogstail||Sheep’s Fescue|
70% native wildflowers
For more information about each flower, or to purchase more of the individual species, click on the links below:
The actual percentage of each species contained may vary due to environmental factors. Turfonline makes every effort to ensure wildflower products are free from weeds and pests, however due to the natural way in which these products are grown we cannot guarantee they are 100% pest free on delivery. It is unlikely that you will see every species that is listed. The variation of species present has been developed to suit a wide variety of soils and environmental conditions. This will result in a product that will adapt to individual settings which may mean some species are more successful than others. Contains annual and perennial species. If installed after March many species may not flower during the first year.